The longest english words
What is the longest word in the dictionary?The longest English word has 43 letters. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a disease that causes inflammation in the lungs and it is caused by extensive exposure to very fine siliceous dust. While this is the longest word in theory, doctors do not use this word, and many believe this word was created simply to be the longest word in the dictionary. Purdue University Grammar Lab
What are other long words in the dictionary?
- pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism is an inherited disorder that closely simulates the symptoms of pseudohypoparathyroidism. This word has 30 letters.
- floccinaucinihilipilification is the act of describing something as worthless, or making something to be worthless by deprecation. An example would be Hillary Clinton referring to all Trump supporters as “deplorable”. While this word is included in the Oxford English Dictionary, Merriam-Webster refuses to recognize it. This word has 29 letters.
- antidisestablishmentarianism was a political position that originated in nineteenth-century Britain which opposed proposals for the disestablishment of the Church of England. This word has 28 letters.
Have you tried the FREE PaperRater automated proofreader yet? What are you waiting for?
What is the longest non-medical word in the dictionary?Antidisestablishmentarianism is considered by many to be the longest non-medical, non-coined, nontechnical word in the English language. The word refers to a 19th-century British political movement which opposed proposals for the disestablishment of the Church of England.
The longest technical words
- Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyl...isoleucine is the abbreviated chemical name for the human protein titin. The complete chemical name has 189,819 letters. The problem with including chemical names is that there is no limit to how long they can be.
- Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsan...pterygon is the longest word ever to appear in literature. The word comes from Aristophanes’ play, Assemblywomen, published in 391 BC. The Greek word count is 171 letters. This word refers to a fictional fricassee comprised of rotted dogfish head, wrasse, wood pigeon, and the roasted head of a dabchick, which is now extinct.
- Parastratiosphecomyia stratiosphecomyioides is a species of soldier fly. With 42 letters, it has the distinction of having the longest scientific name of any extant animal.