Confused Words: aloud vs allowed
1. Detainees were to request witnesses.
2. ``Read it ,''said their father,``for I hardly know myself what it is about.''
3. They simply laid down where they were and themselves to die.
4. But it turned out that he had never read to people, and was too shy to venture the attempt now.
5. But here,' said Traddles, breaking off in his confidence, and speaking , 'ARE the girls!
6. ``But shall you be to go into Normandy?''
7. As in the other trios, the performers speak words in unison.
8. The Turks were not to settle in the village.
9. ``Yes; but your father was not to fall.
10. Then he added ,``Yes, sir, I am hungry very hungry.''
11. The result of the debate was that it was not .
12. "Broken" colours such as pinto are not .
13. And so would Anne, if her health had her to apply.
14. They were not to go out of each other's sight in any circumstances.
15. She screamed ; then running to the door exclaimed,``Help, help!''
16. Reading a brand is referred to as “calling the brand“.
17. but she did not say this , for fear of hurting the poor Queen's feeling.
18. Jim he they was made, but I they happened; I judged it would have took too long to MAKE so many.
19. In 940 he was to operate a mint.
20. This them to appear on both brands.
21. Well, the duke he would take my bed; but the king he wouldn't.
22. He was not to form his own gens.
23. She said it , but added to herself, as she resumed her knitting:``Hah!
24. It was, but she herself to deteriorate."
25. Each of the brothers' confessions were also read .
26. ``I will come directly,''cried Valentine .
27. ``But why is my grandfather to live?''
28. They were not to leave remote villages.
29. ``It is from Miss Bingley,''said Jane, and then read it .
30. And the prisoner,''he continued ,``was he ever heard of afterwards?''
31. As it appeared to me that I was expected to speak, I said : 'How do you do, Mr. Micawber?'
32. Then, the count added ,``Was his name ever known?''
33. After a slight preparation for good news, the letter was read .
34. 'Has Agnes any--' I was thinking , rather than speaking.
35. "The difference is that we do not do what is not by the law.
36. ``Really, you should relate all this , you would have the greatest success.''
37. Until recently, it had been to fall into decay.
38. I thought isn't it a shame that I'm not to do that anymore.
39. Don Quixote called to him and begged him to come down to where they stood.
40. He prayed, and prayed , no longer terrified at the sound of his own voice, for he fell into a sort of ecstasy.
Return to full list of frequently confused words