Definition: monastery or convent
Definition: monastery or convent
Sentences Containing 'cloister'
I withdrew at once with the Morisco into the cloister of the cathedral, and begged him to turn all these pamphlets that related to Don Quixote into the Castilian tongue, without omitting or adding anything to them, offering him whatever payment he pleased.
But she gave us her blessing, and the assurance of her lasting friendship, and spoke to us, generally, as became a Voice from the Cloister.
The cloister church was used for the site of the wedding in "The Sound of Music".
The second cloister, now the enclosure of the monastery's community of monks, was the residence of the Empress Isabella of Portugal on her wedding voyage after her marriage to Charles I of Spain (Holy Roman Emperor Charles V).
While the Quakers had few musical traditions, Protestant churches frequently made extensive use of music in worship J. F. Peter emerged from the Moravian tradition, while Conrad Beissel (founder of the Ephrata Cloister) innovated his own system of harmonic theory.
The Ephrata Cloister ("Community of the Solitary") was founded in what is now Lancaster County on the Cocalico River in 1720.
Beissel codified the Ephrata Cloister's unique tradition in his "Beissel's Dissertation on Harmony"; here, he divided notes into two types.
The Ephrata Cloister's hymnbook was large, consisting of more than 1,000 hymns, many of which were accompanied by instruments including the violin.
His work there included much restoration work and designing additions to the building, including a new gallery above the roof of the east cloister to connect the Abbey Library with the Muniment Room.
One month before he died, he was made a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order by King George V. Tapper's grave is in the west cloister of the Abbey and bears the inscription As well as the stylistic influences of his contemporaries in architectural practice, Tapper was also affected by the writings of John Ruskin and the Aesthetic movement.
In Mexico, three types of open chapels came to be used: the “salon” or “mosque” type found in Cholula and Puebla, distinguished by its front arcade with Moorish arches, the “portico” type, which was a porch area in front of the cloister and the balcony type, located on the upper floor or roof.
Almost all open chapels were part of a larger structure, whether it was the main church or the cloister of the monastery.
In a cloister courtyard Mathis' musings and doubts about his vocation are interrupted by the peasant leader Schwalb and his child Regina.
Birth of the fan vault. The fan vault is attributed to development in Gloucester between 1351 and 1377, with the earliest known surviving example being the east cloister walk of Gloucester Cathedral. Harvey (1978) hypothesises that the east cloister at Gloucester was finished under Thomas de Cambridge (Thomas de Cantebrugge) from Cambridge, Gloucestershire, who left in 1364 to work on the chapter house at Hereford Cathedral (also thought to have been fan vaulted on the basis of a drawing by William Stukeley).
The other three parts of the cloister at Gloucester were begun in 1381, possibly under Robert Lesyngham.
The "Simeonstift" was a two-story cloister in four wings with a dormitory in the north wing and a refectory in the west wing.
The former two-naved church (the cloister’s north wing) with the still preserved nuns’ gallery is used today as a cultural stage.
In 1914, a partial excavation located the buried foundations of the cloister's east and south ranges.
The cremated remains of M. Carey Thomas and Emmy Noether are in the courtyard cloister.
The cloister was built during the Theatine reconstruction of the late 16th century, occupying the former pagan temple.
The vestibule uses columns taken from the former Palaeo-Christian church; the cloister itself has a square plan with, in its center, a well supported by small columns.
In 2001 the Channel 4 TV programme "Time Team" excavated sections of the site, uncovering part of what was believed to be the Infirmary cloister and several graves, and revealing possible details of the ground plan.
The programme suggested that the Nuns' cloister lay under what is today a cobbled courtyard.
Its most striking feature is a central courtyard, which contains a large yew tree and is surrounded by a vaulted cloister.
Attached to it were Warden’s house, school buildings, cloister and dining hall, all in a style of the fourteenth century, re-interpreted in local materials for the nineteenth century by architect, Henry Woodyer.
Emperor Constantine IX Monomachos (r. 1042–1055) built a monastery dedicated to Saint George (with cloister and surrounding garden), as well as a hospital, a palace, old-age homes, hostels, poor-houses, and a law school.
The small open chapel, or chapel of the Indians is located on the upper part of the wall between the church and the main portal to the cloister area.
The Claustro Chico or small cloister is of simple architecture, constructed in stone with a cross in the center which has an anagram of Jesus' name.
The Claustro Grande or large cloister (also called the Naranjo or Orange Tree cloister) has a more elaborate Plateresque design with "Isabelino" type columns.
The small cloister may date from the Franciscan period or might be part of the early Augustinian church.
In the larger, more ornate, cloister, there are medallions with images such as the coat of arms of the Augustine order, a symbol for death, and a symbol representing the union of two worlds.
In the season 1962–63 at the cloister of Venice's Island of San Giorgio, the theme selected by Lanfranchi was "The Birds", from the orchestral work of the same name by composer Ottorino Respighi.
For example, the twelfth-century capitals on the cloister of Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert, adopt an acanthus-leaf motif and the decorative use of drill holes, which were commonly found on Roman monuments.
The range of buildings latterly known as the novices' cloister, one of those constructed in haste around the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries for the accommodation of exiled French monks, was discovered in the 1990s to be in danger of collapse, undermined by groundwater, and was demolished.
Corridors extended east and west from the flanks of the gate, then turned north, and finally joined north of the "kōdo", forming a cloister around the pagoda and the major halls.
The character , which gives the "ingō" its name, originally indicated an enclosure or section and therefore, by analogy, it later came to mean a cloister in a monastery.
The interior centers around a large skylit atrium surrounded by four levels of cloister-like arcades, linked by a grand staircase.
Of the previous buildings, only a Romanesque doorway, parts of the Gothic cloister and two tombs remained.
The cloister, the "heart of the monastery", was to adjoin the southern front of the church.
The chapter house and the common room had to be placed in the east section of the cloister.
Upstairs in the eastern range was the monks’ dormitory, connected by stairs with the church and the cloister.
In the southern section of the cloister lay the monks’ refectory, and in front of it, projecting into the cloister, a pavilion with a washing-fountain, called the "fountain-chapel".
The lay-brothers’ refectory and dormitory were placed in the western range of the cloister, and the kitchen in the south-western corner.
The section of the cloister next to the church was used as a lecture-hall and had to be furnished with a pulpit.
However, for the use of their tenantry they erected a special church, the so-called "people’s church", known from an old engraving in the cloister, which also shows the guesthouse by the road, the fish-pond, the gate-house with the monastery wall and the garden with the mill.
The town's Gothic cathedral was built by him, although only the Romanesque tower is left from the original building, with its carved Renaissance portal and fine cloister dating from the 16th and 18th centuries.
He installed himself in the cloister bought by Burty Haviland, where Picasso took over the first floor.
In the north wing, there were four cells with windows to the cloister, 18 palmos squared, that included space for a bed, bunk for study, oratory and armoire, with dividing walls three palmos thick.
In the cloister were planted apple trees, plum trees, roses and carnations.
The exhibition "Master and Pupil" held in San Francisco in 2001 was installed in the Cloister of Sant’ Agostino in Pietrasanta, Italy in 2003.
More Vocab Wordsshard - fragment generally of broken pottery (glass, clay bowl, or cup)
mutinous - unruly; rebellious; Ex. mutinous teenagers; N. mutiny: open rebellion; CF. mutineer
assent - agree; accept; N. assessment
equitable - fair; impartial; OP. inequitable
memorialize - commemorate
runic - mysterious; set down in an ancient alphabet; N. rune: one of the letters of an alphabet used by ancient Germanic peoples (cut on stone or wood); magic charm
incorrigible - uncorrectable
multiplicity - state of being numerous or multiple; large number; Ex. multiplicity of details; ADJ. multiple: of more than one element
clamber - climb by crawling with difficulties; scramble
facilitate - help bring about; make less difficult