Use of 'choose' and 'chose'
The word ‘choose’ rhymes with ‘booze’ and means to select someone or something from two or more alternatives. Use of ‘choose’ indicates that there is a choice to be made. When you refer to events which are occurring now, or in the future, you must use the word‘choose’.
Example sentences using ‘choose’
- Students choose which day they wish to work.
- They can work from any location they choose.
- Both armies choose to press on with attacks.
- You don't have to choose between work and ethics.
- He is torn between them and unable to choose.
- Students may play any instrument they choose.
- First, Ecuadorian people would choose a Constitution.
- Players then choose a partner.
- Unable to choose between them, they combined them into one.
- If we accept those categories, we feel constrained to choose.
- Ross has to choose between her and Robin.
- The question then arises of which method a company should choose.
- This section describes how to choose the best option.
- The inhabitants were allowed to choose Lithuanian citizenship.
Example sentences using ‘chose’
- He chose Senator Robert Dole of Kansas as his running mate.
- She chose his father, and Stone felt he had to leave home.
- Its origins lay in Cologne but the founders chose Mönchengladbach as its base.
- Brian was first in his class, but he chose to attend Harvard although it had declined considerably.
- Bunton chose not to contest the ensuing election but to retire.
- He passed out as a doctor of medicine and chose to practise in Chilaw.
- The main point is - he chose to head for Northport.
- Lane chose not to seek re-election in 1934.
- Eventually the Saxon government chose Chemnitz as the starting point.
- Most subjects chose to answer around seven questions.
- The Deplorables rejected differences and chose to emphasize similarities.
- With the entry into the acting world she chose to name herself "Zeina".
- His father chose for him to attend Harvard because it previously had a reputation of high standards.
- Two members chose to take other seats.
- He chose Poland, and invaded it one month later.
- He ultimately chose basketball, signing with the worst team in the league.
- Sacrificing his Himalayan bliss, he chose to be with poor Americans.
- She finally chose to stay with her parents.
What is the past tense of ‘choose’?‘Chose’ is the simple past tense form of the verb ‘choose’.
Choose vs Chose vs Choice QuizTake this fun quiz to learn if you know when to use ‘choose’, ‘chose’, and ‘choice’!
Trends in the use of ‘choose’ and ‘chose’This graph shows the trends in the use of ‘choose’ by country. You can compare with this graph which indicates the trends in the use of ‘chose’ by country.
Example sentences using ‘choose’
- I can pass in and out when I choose. Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion. Well, have it as you choose. No, Lizzy, I will not choose that option. For my part, I am inclined to believe it all Darcy's; but you shall do as you choose. If you do not choose to understand me, forgive my impertinence. But however insincere you may choose to be, you shall not find me so. You may ask questions which I shall not choose to answer. She did not choose it. It has a restricted meaning, but I think the people spread it out a little when they choose. Everything is in readiness for our flight, and we can select any time we choose. What made you choose a house at the gates of Paris, M. Bertuccio?'' Then in that case I shall always choose to remain there. I, as a tender father''``And I as a dutiful son, as they choose that I shall be descended from you. Do so then, for of all themes which you could choose that will be the most agreeable to her taste.
Example sentences using choose
- I inherit my father's name, and I do not choose that the shadow of disgrace should darken it. ``And if you wished to die, you would choose this death, count?'' If you choose, you are free; if you choose, you need blame no man--accuse no man. She begged him to choose it for himself, but he refused to do that--I could not understand why--so she plucked it for him, and gave it into his hand. If you choose to call the police, let the police find what they can. But if they do NOT choose to place their money in Mr. Micawber's hands--which they don't--what is the use of that? 'Because I--in short, choose,' replied Mr. Micawber, with a burst. Not very likely, perhaps,'but if they DO come, I don't choose to have them running all about. Some campers choose 2,000 or more calories per day. Additionally, there were two games where teams could choose the opponents. This made Benji annoyed, and he tried to make him choose a team. When this assumption is satisfied we can choose amongst several tests. The viewers choose the winner by SMS voting or phoning. With Andrew Johnston already through, it was down to the judges to choose between them and Flava.
Example sentences using choose
- You choose formula_59 looking to the parameter formula_65: formula_66. I do not choose to teach people strictly on ability, but on their desire to learn. There are numerous upgrade criteria to choose from. However, the questioner must choose a question to which he knows the answer. You should have the right to choose whether your personal information is disclosed." Murray has stated he did not choose the cover and does not like its "masculine" appearance. So von Balthasar had to choose between remaining a Jesuit and his involvement with the institute.
More sentences using ‘chose’
- Other books were produced, and after some deliberation he chose Fordyce's Sermons. Those who chose to be idle, certainly might.'' I declare, I expect to look magnificent in it, and chose that regiment only from vanity.'' The officers, meeting, chose me to be colonel of the regiment, which I this time accepted. 'I can't think what papa can have been about, when he chose such a vexatious thing to be my companion. I believe there never was anybody with such an imperturbable countenance when she chose. At age 16 she chose to follow her dream to become an actress. The captain chose to fly with visual flight rules and quickly regretted his decision. A portion led by Lame Deer chose to remain out. He chose not to do so, allowing the Robertson's Colony to be saved. The battalion was formed of men who chose the latter option. The state of Nevada chose to close the facility for budgetary reasons. He chose to honour the Roman Catholic nun, Mother Teresa. Andy Murray was the defending champion, but chose not to participate that year. Later, she chose Setsuna for the protagonist of the series. So I just thought what if you did have a guy who chose not to lose that side of his childhood?" He finally chose Kerman for the location of the university he intended to build. They chose the castle as a stronghold in which they could take shelter during emergencies. He chose the surname "Nelson" after arriving in the United States. The viewers can chochose se which contestants will be living together. At this point, the crew chose to bring the plane to Domodedovo Airport. In 1985, the Basque Parliament chose Ardanza as its new president. Each province could send as many representatives as they chose. As usual, broadcaster RAI chose both song and performer internally. In this Detour, teams chose between Choreography or Calligraphy. Some chose to transliterate their names, but others opted to translate the meaning. The election chose 68 MLAs to the "Vidhan Sabha". He was closest with Brian and Helen in the game, and chose to avoid drama. He chose to attend the University of Wisconsin–Madison.