Confused Words: appraise vs apprise
1. We believe an acquaintance with the civilization of Greece and Rome will help us understand and this world of today, which is indebted to ancient civilization in its government and laws, literature, language and arts.
2. ``You are right; it is not you who should M. Danglars, it is I.''``Do not do so, reverend sir.''
3. Group think is a mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in cohesive group, when the members' striving for unanimity overrides their motivation to realistically the alternative courses of action.
4. ``Half an hour will suffice to them; will you go for them yourself, or shall you send?''
5. However, Monte Cristo only made a sign to Ali, who, understanding that danger was approaching from the other side, drew nearer to his master.
6. In compliance with the standing order of his commander--to report immediately, and at any one of the twenty-four hours, any decided change in the affairs of the deck,--Starbuck had no sooner trimmed the yards to the breeze--however reluctantly and gloomily,--than he mechanically went below to Captain Ahab of the circumstance.
7. You will have sufficient time before fiveo'clock; despatch a messenger to the grooms at the first station.
8. ``Exactly what I wish for; I will my mother of my intention, and return to you.''
9. ``M. Morrel,''said Chateau Renaud,``will you the Count of Monte Cristo that M. de Morcerf is arrived, and we are at his disposal?''
10. After filing for bankruptcy in July, 2013, Kevin Orr, the city's state appointed emergency manager, hired Christie's Auction House to the collection.
Return to full list of frequently confused words